COULD IT BE TRUE?



The centre of one of the more surprising transfer stories of the summer admitted that the nature of the move caught even him off-guard, but insists that he is more than happy to be calling the Emirates home now.

"I am very glad to be here and it is an honour to finally sign for Arsenal," Silvestre told Arsenal TV.

"It was a big surprise, but a very good surprise in the end. I left United especially because I didn't want to spend anymore time on the bench.

"I was looking for a new challenge and when Arsenal come you cannot say no. Hopefully I can look forward to a fresh start without any injuries."

The veteran French international defender went on to give thanks to Sir Alex Ferguson for not standing in the way of the move, while admitting that he will certainly miss Old Trafford.

"It is hard to leave because there are so many nice people there," he added.

"But the fans will understand that as a player you leave.

"I was loyal to Man United for nine years and will now be loyal to Arsenal and perform as much as I can, which is all that matters."